Gore Concession Urged – Wairarapa Toddler – Transtasman Travel – Newspaperman Dies - $6 Rent
- GORE CONCESSION URGED: Some leading Democrat campaigners are urging their candidate Al Gore to concede his White House hopes after a divided United States Supreme Court decision.
- WAIRARAPA TODDLER: Wairarapa toddler Hinewaoriki “Lillybing” Karaitiana-Matiaha was hit by her aunt each time she fell from a platform during toilet training that lasted till nearly midnight, Masterton District Court was told yesterday.
- TRANSTASMAN TRAVEL: Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer provided an assurance in Wellington last night that New Zealanders would not lose their freedom of travel across the Tasman.
- NEWSPAPERMAN DIES: Michael Robson, the managing director of INL, died suddenly in Wellington last night. He was 61.
- $6 RENT: An Auckland family has been paying $6 a week to live in a state-owned three-bedroom house in trendy Ponsonby, prompting Opposition claims that the Government’s housing policies are a mess.
Inside Political Headlines:
- Bill favouring race, disability, sex upsets MP;
- National backs super bill going to committee;
- Cadet parade inspection by PM a first;
- Pregnant MP getting paid leave;
- WTO appeal in NZ’s ‘favour’;
- Japanes party date ‘an oversight’;
- Labour signs off first Treaty deed.
Editorial: Downer needs a good