Chopper Crash – Missing Kids Found – Factory Accident – Terrralink Receivership – El Salvador Earthquake – Mountaineering PM
- CHOPPER CRASH: A helicopter plummeted into the side of Mt Victoria this morning sending tourists running. Its wreckage was visible from many parts of the city. The pilot, 52-year-old Andy Shaw, died. Six years ago Mr Shaw’s son Peter died in the cave creek tragedy. Mr Shaw suffered massive head and chest injuries and died soon after impact. The chopper has been taking fill from a hillside building site.
- MISSING KIDS FOUND: A five and six year old have emerged safe after 24 hours in the bush. Two young children disappeared from a family picnic near the Hunua Falls last night and spent the night in dense bush. They were found hungry but unharmed. Searchers worked throughout the night to find the children. After a fruitless morning scouring bush the children’s parents were despondent, but police remained optimistic.
- FACTORY ACCIDENT: More than a dozen people have escaped serious injuries as more than a dozen gas cylinders became missiles in a Hamilton factory accident.
- TERRALINK RECIEVERSHIP: 80 workers are with out jobs tonight after state owned enterprise Terralink went into receivership today. The receivers say Terralink underquoted on a contract with EDS. Finance Minister Michael Cullen said he was hopeful the receivers would come to a satisfactory solution. The receivers say they can turn the company around and re-employ the staff. But that may require the Government to sell the business, which would mean a back down on an election promise.
- EL SALVADOR EARTHQUAKE: Searchers are continuing to dig through mud and rubble in El Salvador, while thousands are still missing after the massive earthquake in the country. The New Zealand Government is contributing $100,000 to the aid effort.
PM: Prime Minister Helen Clark has just returned from a
20-day trek on a South American mountain, reaching her limit
at 6000 metres, just under 1000 metres from the