Car Dealer Rules – Govt Dept Bonuses – Terralink Staff – El Salvador Earthquake – Sydney Winds – Wellington Winds
- CAR DEALER RULES: The Government is making moves to tighten controls on car dealers. The Government wants to license everyone who regularly sells cars. The proposed new regulations will require all car dealers to be licensed, only private sales will not be covered. And for the first time, cars sold at auction will be covered by the Consumer Guarantees Act. Plans to publish a list of banned dealers are also being considered.
- GOVT DEPT BONUSES: Another row has broken out over Government department bonuses. National has revealed that housing New Zealand staff got three days extra holiday as a reward for hard work, which National has called a disguised bonus. 560 Housing New Zealand staff received the bonus, which National says works out to about a quarter of a million dollars worth of work.
- TERRALINK STAFF: Eighty Terralink staff have been given hope of new jobs with EDS, who Terralink were working with on a computer mapping project before being put into receivership.
- EL SALVADOR EARTHQUAKE: El Salvador has been rocked by more than 500 aftershocks since the big quake. Authorities have all but given up looking for the living underneath the rubble, while thousands remain missing. However, one man was saved after using his cell phone while trapped under rubble. The British Government is the latest to contribute to the aid effort, with $2 million.
- SYDNEY WINDS: Sydney has been hit by freak winds on a day when temperatures soared to over 40 degrees. Winds caused havoc, knocking down walls, starting fires and taking lives.
- WELLINGTON WINDS: Wellington was hit by 120km/hr gales today. Meanwhile, on the Otago Peninsula gales blew around 100km/hr. The Wellington winds have made it tough going for sailors on the BT global Challenge as they head into Wellington harbour. The race is dubbed one of the world’s toughest, taking sailors against prevailing winds and currents. The yachts will be in port in Wellington for five weeks.