Sport Report – Baxter Murder Accused – Gas Price Rise – Pokies – Shellfish Toxin
- SPORT REPORT: Teachers have criticised a plan that could keep children in school for half an hour longer everyday to allow more time for sport.
- BAXTER MURDER ACCUSED: Family supporters of a 23-year-old Hastings process worker accused of raping and murdering Wellington woman Margaret-Lynne Baxter tried shielding the accused from cameras outside Hastings District Court.
- GAS PRICE RISE: Contact Energy, under fire for its performance from small shareholders, signalled a rise in gas prices for 110,000 customers, including those in Wellington, at its annual meeting in Auckland yesterday.
- POKIES: Latest statistics show a 25 percent rise in the amount of money New Zealanders spent last year on non-casino poker machines.
- SHELLFISH TOXIN: A new toxin has been found in mussels from the Hawke’s Bay, and health officials are warning people not to eat shellfish from the area.
- Loan scheme cost unknown;
- Tourism agency chalks up0 100 years;
- Soldiers are fuming, says Capill;
- ACT’s press man killed in air crash;
- Shipley makes changes to ‘attack team’;
- Drowned man took off lifejacket.