TVNZ Salaries – Sir Robert Mahuta – Sevens Backtrack – Dangerous Toys – Expensive Horse
- TVNZ SALARIES: Salaries at Television New Zealand are still rising despite undertakings from the chairman to reduce them.
- SIR ROBERT MAHUTA: Prime Minister Helen Clark paid tribute to deceased Tainui leader Sir Robert Mahuta yesterday, saying “the bow of the canoe of Tainui has broken.”
- SEVENS BACKTRACK: Sports Minister Trevor Mallard has been forced to withdraw his plans to host a rugby sevens reception after realising the unwelcome Fiji team would be invited into Parliament.
- DANGEROUS TOYS: Toy blowpipes selling for as little as $26 in stores nation-wide should become subject to a voluntary ban before someone is killed, says Alliance Whip Grant Gillon.
- EXPENSIVE HORSE: A Zabeel-Marquise filly fetched a New Zealand record price of $1.45 million at the national yearling sales at Karaka in Auckland yesterday.
Inside Political Headlines:
- TVNZ charter could cost $100m;
- Scepticism in Northland over Clark’s ‘bridge building’ visit;
- Health strategy under-funded groups tell King;
- Therapists have concers;
- Smuggler cops $12,000 fine;
- January road toll up 10.
Editorial: The pulse of the nation.