Middleton Sentence – Venison Settlement – Campbell Win – Beattie Dies – Arahura Breakdown
- MIDDLETON SENTENCE: Mark Middleton would almost certainly not appeal against being held in custody pending his sentencing for threatening to kill his stepdaughter’s killer, Middleton’s lawyers said last night.
- VENISON SETTLEMENT: Settlement of an American woman’s claim that she had to have an abortion after eating New Zealand venison has cost the Game Industry Board more than $1 million.
- CAMPBELL WIN: Wellington’s Michael Campbell played some stunning golf yesterday to blitz the field and win the Heineken Open gold tournament in Perth.
- BEATTIE DIES: Former governor general and Supreme Court judge Sir David Beattie, 76, died suddenly at his Upper Hutt home last night.
- ARAHURA BREAKDOWN: Passengers crossing the Cook Strait were delayed more than three hours last night when the 18-year-old ferry Arahura broke down in Wellington harbour.
- Gushing togetherness conceals National’s prickly differences;
- Waitangi Day summit to plan 40-year vision;
- UN unsure about Timor charges;
- Unions told registration not a worry;
- Nelson wharfies plan peace to win support;
- Argentinian invader in Wellington;
- Kiwi returns to build big yachts.