East Timor Compo – Makara Fire – Kiwi History – Jenny Safe
- EAST TIMOR COMPO: The United Nations had threatened to withhold about $112,000 in compensation to the family of a soldier who died in East Timor because the New Zealand Army had delayed issuing a report of the accident, a UN official said yesterday.
- MAKARA FIRE: Firefighters were still dampening down hot sports this morning after a big bushfire at Makara, west of Wellington, yesterday.
- KIWI HISTORY: The kiwi, New Zealand’s national bird and sports symbol, probably originated in Australia, according to a New Zealand scientist.
- JENNY SAFE: Jenny Shipley’s leadership of the National Party is secure until at least 2005 if she wins the next election, says her new deputy, Bill English.
- Ministry challenges vets’ notice of strikes;
- Mind changes throw meat industry into turmoil;
- Land Wars history revived;
- Interest in Anderton debt plan;
- Italians seal friendship;
- Legal adviser resigns;
- Shipley’s job not safe, say Clark and Peters;
- Waitangi ban would make Clark’s day
Editorial: Leniency for