Mother Sentenced – Chubb Heist – Chris Simpson – Cancer Treatment – Dennis Corrin – Tug Salvage – Bluebird Salvage
- MOTHER SENTENCED: A mother who thrashed her five-year-old son has been sentenced to six years jail. It has raised the question of whether child abusers are getting the punishment they deserve. The judge said he wondered whether sentencing levels had gotten out of kilter with the severity of crimes. The woman’s defence argued it was an isolated incident, she had otherwise not laid a hand on her children. Legal experts say if judges start hand out longer sentences for manslaughter, they will almost certainly be reduced by the Court of Appeal.
- CHUBB HEIST: In a Wellington Court, the mastermind of the pre-Christmas Chubb security van heist was sentenced to 11 years jail today. The getaway car driver got seven years.
- CHRIS SIMPSON: Chris Simpson, the Auckland doctor accused of murdering his mother Marjorie Simpson has been committed to trial.
- CANCER TREATMENT: A growing crisis in staffing levels for cancer treatment is sparking a call for improved conditions for oncologists, who are going overseas for better pay and conditions. Patients are having to wait months for treatment.
- DENNIS CORRIN: Dennis Corrin is tonight back in New Zealand, after spending months in the captivity of guerillas in the Amazon jungle.
- TUG SALVAGE: A big salvage operation is underway inn Auckland Harbour. A 65 ton tugboat sank. The skipper got off the tug before it sank, and was unhurt.
- BLUEBIRD SALVAGE: The wreck of Donald
Campbell’s Bluebird jet boat was recovered in England today.
It sank in 1967, while Campbell unsuccessfully attempted a
speed record. Campbell’s body was never