Fraud Sentence – Mortgage Rates – Soldier’s Letters Found – Air Traffic Control
FRAUD SENTENCE: Cavan Haines was sentenced in Wellington District Council yesterday to 4 ½ years jail for masterminding a scheme that defrauded taxpayers of $5.5 million.
- MORTGAGE RATES: Banks trimmed home mortgage rates yesterday after the Reserve Bank cut the official interest rate to 6 per cent from 6.25 per cent.
- SOLDIER’S LETTERS FOUND: Letters written by a Marlborough soldier in WWI have been found in a desk in Britain, 84 years after he was killed on the Western Front.
- AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL: Pilots and air traffic controllers say a continuing staff shortage earns New Zealand’s air traffic control system is “functioning on goodwill and substantial working of overtime.”
- Mallard accused of ‘evasive’ answer;
- Waitangi Treaty Commission recommended;
- Chairman silent on payment conditions;
- Clark goes looking for business in China;
- Beehive work safeguards;
- Anzac item may be reworded;
- Stop import of ‘pokies’ says MP.
Editorial: More questions than