Budget Flying – Dash-8 – Abusing Teacher Jailed – Fatal Drinking Session – Dingo Attack
- BUDGET FLYING: First Freedom Air took off this morning, then Qantas Australia announced it is here to stay, and Virgin Blue is waiting in the wings in the budget flight market. Its good news for consumers looking for cheap fares. Qantas says it will be providing a better service than the collapsed Qantas NZ.
- DASH-8: Ansett Pilot Gary Sutheran is on trial for manslaughter after the Dash-8 plane he was piloting crashed killing four people. Today the High Court in Palmerston North heard evidence from a Canadian expert, who has investigated more than 500 crashes, that Gary Sutheran was to blame for the crash.
- ABUSING TEACHER JAILED: An HIV positive teacher has been jailed for five years for sexually abusing pupils. The court heard that the teacher fondled students as they lay on his living room floor as well as in the school. He was a religious studies and Maori language teacher. In recent days the man has been on the receiving end of physical abuse in prison.
- FATAL DRINKING SESSION: Police in West Auckland are horrified that a 15-year-old girl died while her friends watched during a drinking session. The girl killed herself while at least one of the friends watched.
- DINGO ATTACK: A Queensland park ranger
says a 9-year-old boy killed by a dingo on Fraser Island
should not have tried to run