Ronnie Biggs – Odometer Fraud – Steven Wallace Case – GE Babies – Space Tourist – Dixon Victory
- RONNIE BIGGS: Great Train Robber Ronnie Biggs is just three hours away from arrest – he’s heading back to Britain where he faces certain arrest. He wants to see his homeland before he dies. Biggs evaded a media scrum in Rio De Janeiro before boarding his plane. His one request is to have a pint of bitter in an English pub. It is understood British police intend to hand Biggs over to prison officials for medical evaluation.
- ODOMETER FRAUD: Police believe they’re cracked the biggest case of odometer fraud in our history. A man faces 170 fraud charges for sales of cars with wound back odometers.
- STEVEN WALLACE CASE: Justice Minister Phil Goff has stepped into the Steven Wallace Police shooting case after the officer who shot Wallace was identified on a web site. “Constable A”’s lawyer said the content of the web site is grossly inaccurate. Mr Goff says he’s looking at ways of protecting police. He said the officer is entitled to a degree of privacy. “Regrettably in the age of the internet a single individual can act as judge and jury in these matters.” The Sensible Sentencing Group is distancing themselves from the web site.
- GE BABIES: A new law is being drawn up to stop GE babies being born here.
- SPACE TOURIST: Sixty-year-old American billionaire Dennis Tito is back on earth after spending $50m for a trip into space.
DIXON VICTORY: Kiwi Scott Dixon has won the Indy Champ car
series, rated second only to Formula One in car racing. Its
being called the biggest motor racing victory for a Kiwi for