Queenstown Race – Nark Victory – British Election – Smoker Payout – Diesel
- QUEENSTOWN RACE: Four volunteers have walked free after a U-turn in the Queenstown car race case. Motorsport NZ has taken the blame for the incident, in which two spectators were killed in a crash, admitting a charge of criminal nuisance, leaving the volunteers free of their charges, including manslaughter.
- NARK VICTORY: Once high ranking mongrel member Anthony Hewison is tonight claiming victory over the police. He became a nark in return for the police relocating him and his family, but the police didn’t hold up their end of the deal. The judge found there was a contract that the police didn’t fulfil their part of the bargain, and must now do what they can to facilitate permanent residence for Mr Hewison and his family in Australia.
- BRITISH ELECTION: Voting has just begun in the British elections, with Tony Blair looking certain to sweep into power – but there are fears that voter apathy may see a much closer result than the polls predict.
- SMOKER PAYOUT: A whopping payout of more than $7 billion has been awarded to an American smoker with lung cancer.
- DIESEL: The Auckland Regional Council is accusing two oil giants of holding the city to ransom by refusing to refine cleaner diesel, and has also attacked the Government for allowing such a high sulfur content in New Zealand’s diesel, when other countries are enforcing cleaner diesel standards.