Child Prostitution – McVeigh’s Execution – Prison Escapee – Corrections U-turn – Gay Oakes – Big Chill
- CHILD PROSTITUTION: There is alarm at the scale of teenage prostitution. A survey found there are hundreds of teens who sell sex for fast money, and one in five of them are boys. The statistics show the teenage prostitutes tend to come from abusive and poor homes. 82 per cent of the young workers surveyed say they are using drugs. The figures have shocked the Government. Social Services Minister Steve Maharey says he has already met with police to see if there are ways to increase their powers to deal with child prostitution.
- MCVEIGH’S EXECUTION: Oklahoma City Bomber Timothy McVeigh is due to die in a few hours. For the first time he has said sorry for killing the people in the bombing, but he still maintains what he did was justified. His last meal consisted of two pints of mint chocolate chip ice-cream.
- PRISON ESCAPEE: An armed robber who has escaped from Rimutaka Prison has begun taunting police by phone. Now, he has rung One News to say he wasn’t going to give himself up. He went shopping in Palmerston North the day he disappeared, stayed at a backpackers, and now may be living rough.
- CORRECTIONS U-TURN: There has been a back-down over plans to let prisoner and convicted Murderer Shane Rogers out of jail to attend a farming field day. Now the Corrections Department has made a U-Turn. Shane Rogers is serving a life sentence.
- GAY OAKES: Convicted murderer Gay Oakes could be let out of jail two years early at the end of next year.
- BIG CHILL: More problems are
predicted for the deep south after a day of chaos caused by
the cold snap. Traffic in Dunedin was chaotic today. Dunedin
Hospital had an influx of injured pedestrians to deal