Bad Law – Power Savings – Wainui School Closures -
BAD LAW: The Government has lost the chance to recoup millions of dollars of taxpayer funds used to pay for legal aid because of a badly designed law passed in February, the Law Society says.
POWER SAVINGS: Energy Minister Pete Hodgson urged households and businesses yesterday to crank up savings even further, saying power rationing had so far been good “but not good enough.”
WAINUI SCHOOL CLOSURES: Education Minister and local MP Trevor Mallard told parents that Wainuiomata College and intermediate would close in December, and Parkway College and Parkway intermediate will remain open.
BRUISES: Sixty-six bruises were found on Masterton woman Maureen Hammond’s body after she was found dead in her bath last September, Wellington coroner Garry Evans was told yesterday.
Inside Political Headlines:
- Hodgson apologises for ‘junk’ jibe;
- Fans face long wait for live free-to-air sport;
- Kiwis cleared over Timor killing;
- Shopping all year round at tourist centres;
- Ansett attacks minister for supporting rival;
- Hide posts papers about ‘people’s bank’ on Internet;
- Muriwhenua reopen land claim;
- NZ nature highlighted;
- Beware welfare trap, says book.
Editorial: We must have a