1. HAWKESBY ROW: Labour Leader Helen Clark says the PM's credibility has been damaged by the Hawkesby affair. The PM admitted she was wrong about. However TVNZ's political editor says the PM told her she "made it up". The PM says she does not recall using the phrase but if she did it was in a flippant manner.
2. ACC MURDER: The CEO of ACC says the corporation will be reviewing security following the murder of ACC employee Janet Pyke yesterday by a client. The PSA says public servants are the human face
3. CIA: It is being claimed - by the Washington Post - that a CIA analyst warned NATO that it had the wrong target before it bombed the Chinese Embassy in Belgrade.
4. SURREY PARK: Calls in Invercargill for a referendum on whether schools should close.
5. MILLENNIUM HOLIDAY: The Queen has approved a one-day holiday on New Year's Eve in Great Britain to allow people to prepare for the millennium celebrations.
6. APEC MEETING: Trade Ministers will begin arriving in NZ this weekend in advance of an APEC meeting next week. The meeting is under a cloud of proposed US lamb tariffs.
7. LENIN: Russia's communist party has warned Yeltsin not to move the body of Lenin.