TV1 6pm News (first segment)
1. SHOOTING - A dramatic shooting claims the life of one man and leaves one policeman injured. He is the 18th man to be shot by police. Few details, but a group of four men are understood to have left a premises without paying for goods one of the men apparently pointed a gun at the police and a police man shot him. The three others gave up, a police man was injured
2. PRISON BASE A Corrections Dept investigation is underway after claims a man used the Wanganui prison as a base for a crime spree. David Downer went regularly missing from the minimum security prison to commit burglaries. There are claims the Corrections department knew what was going on and did nothing
3. PAYOUTS - Two former Tourism Board members are to pay back money they received unlawfully, but they are to get $170,000 back in compensation and an apology for damage to their reputation as well as legal and travel costs. Lockwood Smith say it does not set a precedent, he said legal action would have cost a lot more. The payouts have not been received favourably in Parliament, Helen Clark says it is humiliation for PM.
4. PRIVILEGE - The Prime Minister will not face a grilling before the privileges committee after the Speaker turned down a second complaint that she misled Parliament over her comments in the Hawkesby affair.
5. MILLENNIUM - Nearly two thirds of organisations expect employees to work on New Year's Eve without extra money.