TV1 6pm News (first segment)
1. METEOR - A big meteor has exploded and showered parts of New Zealand. Reports have come in from South Canterbury through to Auckland of lights and explosion. Some reports of pieces landing near Waverly, Taranaki and other areas. One man in Napier describes a vapour trail like a jet and then a large explosion with a falling leaf effect below it.
2. WATSON TRIAL - Evidence that Olivia Hope and Ben Smart were more than friends. In the Scott Watson trial friends of the missing pair told of the last hours they were seen alive.
3. ELLIS APPEAL - The Peter Ellis appeal hearing against convictions for sexual molestation has heard allegations that the jury was biased. The Crown has begun its case, they say the evidence of the children against Ellis was fair.
4. URBAN MAORI - A claim tonight that the Government is trying to make urban Maori into second class citizens. John Tamihere of the Wapairere Trust and Labour candidate says he is opposed to a law change that sought to define urban Maori so they could receive funding.
5. COMPENSATION - The Minister of Health is ruling out compensation for families and children killed or injured by percussion treatment on premature babies at National Women's Hospital.
6. BOAT SINKS - One man is dead and another missing after a boat capsized on the Westport bar.
7. SCRAPBOOK - A book repairer has been given the very old scrap book of All Black George Loveridge.