1. PETROL PRICES: The Herald leads today with a report that motorists face a second round of petrol an diesel price rises on top of yesterday's 3c a litre boost as oil companies pass on the increasing cost of crude oil.
2. FIREFIGHTER HERO: The front-page photo shows firefighters attending to a toddler they rescued from a burning flat in Auckland yesterday.A fireman is hailed as hero in mission impossible.
3. IRD CONSULTANTS: The Inland Revenue has paid accounting firm KPMG $2.4 million in consultancy fees in the last two years.
4. RICH LIST: Young gifted and rolling in it - barely out of their 20s, Nick and Tim Wood are not waiting till they turn grey to amass fortunes. The founders of IHUG have rocketed into the NBR Rich List with an estimated wealth of $75 million.
5. GOLDEN HANDSHAKES: Golden handshakes to directors of crown entities such as the Tourism Board will be banned under new rules.
6. RENT PROTESTER: Police with hammers and saws ripped tiles from the roof over a rent protestor and cut through the wooden trusses. They then climbed into the barricaded home and arrested him.
7. NEW CSS BOSS: MPs grilled the new director of the Centre for Strategic Studies David Dickens on his political impartiality.
8. DAIRY REFORM: Commerce
Commission approval is shaping up as the biggest hurdle for
planned restructuring of the dairy