TV1 6pm News (first segment)
1. WINZ BLOW OUT - Two Government departments face embarrssnig financial bungles. WINZ spend $165,000 getting 140 managers to a meeting in Taupo. They chartered jets that couldn’t normlly land at Taupo meaning the airline had to bring in ground crew. It didn’t end there they spent $150 per person for a hotel not including dinner. The Manager who okayed the spending has been suspended.
2. IRD GAFFE - Inland Revenue has admitted to an embarrassing error. Yesterday they released figures showing they paid a consultant firm a fee of $687 an hour, but they made a mistake it was in fact $226 dollars. Sir William Birch is not impressed by the mistake. Rodney Hide says IRD is harsh on people who make mistakes with figures and they do it themselves.
3. WINE BOX - Two High Court judges have reserved their decision in the Wine Box Appeal hearing.
4. CANCER COMPENSATION - The Government is now considering compensation for women at the centre of cancer smear misdiagnoses.
5. BAD BLOOD A Pensioner has been cleared of any infection at the bad blood affair in Christchurch Hospital. He is one of 1300 people being tested for infectious disease.
6. BEATING - An Auckland good Samaritan who stopped to help some people is luckly to be alive after the people robbed him, forced him to take money out of an eftpos account and beat him.
7. CANNABIS - Detective in South Auckland have busted a large hydroponic cannabis crop in an industrial area. The police say the plants were top of the range and thew operation sophisticated.
8. RICH LIST - The richest of New Zealanders are getting richer, the NBR’s rich list is out.