SMOKING: The Evening Post leads tonight with a report that teenage smoking has risen dramatically in the last decade according to two studies - including one of 500 Wellington Fourth Formers released this week.
MURAL The front-page photo shows a mural being painted on a toilet in Oriental Bay.
Also on the front page:
- WINZ SPENDING: a report that Top-level Work and Income Managers should be disciplined after $165,000 was spent to charter a jet for a staff conference, says Green Party MP Rod Donald;
- SEX AND TAX: a report that New Zealanders are spending up to $240 million a year paying for sex - and the taxman wants a piece of the action;
- GISBORNE HEALTH: a report that Gisborne Hospital expects to triple its workload during the millenium celebrations and wants up to $3.5 million from the HFA to cope;
Inside Political Headlines
- NATIONAL PARTY: Confusing Message Of Seesaw Change - just where is the National Party heading? Asks political editor Brent Edwards;
- MISCHIEF RATES BILL: Recoup of shoe store debt fades - Wellington ratepayers are unlikely to recoup $35,000 in rates owed by a company formerly associated with Mayor Mark Blumsky - Mischief Shoes;
- CREEP OF THE WEEK: Creep of the Week award issued to National MP Gerry Brownlee for not piping down during debate over Te Reo in the house;
- INCIS: "Doone takes rap for INCIS error;"
- NZ FIRST: "Peters sees return to glory days."