NEW HARBOUR BRIDGE PLAN: The Herald leads today with a report into the new traffic solution planned for Auckland. The site of a second Harbour Bridge has been chosen - right next to the existing one - but the bridge could be 20 years away. A diagram shows the plans to change traffic flows in Auckland.
Also on the front page:
- BUSINESS CLASS BIRTHS: a report that Health Minister Wyatt Creech has lashed out at Auckland Healthcare for not warning the Government that it planned to introduce its two-year maternity service;
- WTO: a report that Mike Moore was confirmed last night as the next Director General of the WTO ending a long and bitter contest;
- RUGBY: a report that the new stadium is ready, the face painting has started, the marquees are up and the tension is rising as tomorrow's Bledisloe Cup test draws nigh;
- JAILED TETRAPLEGIC: a report that the tetraplegic prisoner jailed and left in his own excrement is considering suing;
- DOG CONTROL: a report that the proposed pit-bull laws are being attacked from all sides;
- WINZ ROW: a report that Labour says Winz boss Christine Rankin is trying to spend her way out of trouble;
- TE REO: a report that Tau Henare is locking hors with National about the speaking of Maori in Parliament after heated rows erupted this week'
- SUPERANNUATION: a report that Labour and the Alliance have attacked the Government's Super 2000 taskforce on the eve of its first presentation.