MURDERER IN KOHANGA: The Dominion leads today with a report that the Corrections Department knew for 14 months that a woman convicted of a ritual killing had been a volunteer at a Stokes Valley kohanga reo.
RUGBY: The front-page photo shows 1951 All Black Brian Steele with a banner reading "Ex-All Blacks Corner" - he is planning to make a point at tonight's match on the poor quality of seats allocated to some of the game's former great players.
Also on the front page:
- JAPANESE 747 HIJACKING: a report that the pilot of a Japanese 747 with 517 people on board died while trying to overpower a knife-wielding hijacker yesterday, but the plane managed to land safely after the struggle ended;
- CLAIRE HILLS: a report that an Auckland constable who failed to act on a 111 call about a car fire in which a woman - Claire Hills - died last year has been fined $450 and moved to other duties;
- WHITE ISLAND: a report that a big eruption on White Island was possible after activity yesterday;
DOCTOR NEEDS HELP: a report that Ross MacLeod has dedicated
his life to saving children and serving the health system.
Now, when the young Auckland doctor needs it the most, the
system has let him down - he has cancer but cannot get
supplies of the drug he needs to treat
- IMMIGRATION: a report that foreign doctors are delivering pizzas to make a living because of problems with having their qualifications recognised;
- ARMY COMPENSATION DEBATE: a report that Parliament's foreign affair's and defence select committee has been unable to agree on whether an tetraplegic and his brother, who were both injured in the army, should get extra compensation;
- WTO: a report that politicians have united in congratulating Mike Moore on his appointment to the WTO;
- SHIPLEY IN ASIA: a report that Shipley is upbeat about Asia and the Auckland Apec meeting;
- PLUTONIUM: a report that an expert says the nuclear cargo ships bound for the Tasman Sea are safe;
- WINZ: a report that Fletch and Fletch the Winz
employees famous for their performances with Christine
Rankin reportedly dressed as nuns to bless the audience at a
mock wedding reception in which Ms Rankin took part