LIQUOR: The Dominion leads today with a report that a historic vote to lower the drinking age from 20 to 18 turned to confusion in Parliament last night with a mix-up over proxy votes. The vote to reduce the drinking age had to be amended three times because of wrongly cast proxies.
LIQUOR: The front-page photo shows three women enjoying a beer at Zebos bar. The women had mixed feelings about the changes.
LIQUOR: Another report says alcohol, health and youth lobby groups are disappointed by Parliament's decision last night to lower the drinking age to 18.
Also on the front page:
- FLASH FLOOD: a report that at least two New Zealanders are believed dead and three injured after 18 people were swept to their deaths by a wall of water during a "canyoning" expedition in Switzerland yesterday.
- TEENAGER RAPED: a report that a 16-year-old Lower Hutt student waiting for a bus in Taita was allegedly kidnapped and raped on the Petone foreshore late on Tuesday night, police say;
- SCOTT WATSON TRIAL: a report that a man who offered alleged murder victim Olivia Hope a berth on his boat told her friend Ben Smart that he could not come, water taxi driver Guy Wallance told the High Court at Wellington yesterday.
Inside Political Headlines:
TAMIHERE: Tamihere in for a golden handshake says
- HENARE: Henare's letter brings complaint;
- DAIRY: Dairy leadership challenge tests mega company;
- WINZ: Manager speaks up for Rankin - Winz took 'cheapest' setats for 18 staff to attend seminar
- LIQUOR: Tardy MPs caught out for conscience votes.