BOYS AT SCHOOL: The New Zealand Herald leads today with a report that boys are being robbed of their futures in the nation’s classrooms, and the pressure is on the government to take steps to lift their academic progress to match the girls.
MT ALBERT GRAMMAR: The front-page picture shows a girl who is about to start at Mt Albert Grammar next year – ending a boys own history of 77 years. An accompanying story says the school hopes the addition of girls to the school will lift the academic achievement of some of the boys.
Also on the front page:
- KAPAHAKA TRIP ROW: a report that Labour and National expressed serious reservations after the Internal Affairs Minister Jack Elder approved a $35,000 lottery grant for a Maori immersion school to send a cultural group to China;
- FLASH FLOOD: a report that Andy Lee was an irrepressible adventurer who former workmates say would have died trying to help those around him – Lee had been working for just three months as a guide at Interlaken when he died in the flash flood that killed 19.
- ASSASSINATION: a report that the man charged with the Murder of a Samoan Cabinet Minister is the eldest son of a cabinet minister;
Inside Political Headlines
- Alliance studies taxes on wealth – Anderton
also has eyes on casino profits
- Trust set on farewell payout for Tamihere;
- Diehards on drink age keep up fight for 20;
- MP’s shots off target says Kidd
LIQUOR: The editorial discusses the change to the drinking age.