TV1 6pm News
1. CURE FOR CANCER? - Liprinol tablets have been taken off the shelves after selling out they day they went on sale in New Zealand. The Ministry of Health says the manufacturers may have overplayed their hands. Pharmacists say the packaging just advertises it as a dietary supplement. There has been criticism in high places of claims the product could cure cancer on Friday and be released to the market on Monday. Jenny Shipley says as a former Health Minister, she is dubious about the timing. The manufacturer denies any marketing tricks. On Friday TV1 ran a "world exclusive about the extract from green-lipped mussels and its potential to cure cancer. Clinical trials are yet to start, Cancer Society urges caution. New Zealanders spent $2 million on the product today.
2. TRIPLE FATALITY - Police say the three teenagers who died a car crash over the weekend in the Wairarapa had been drinking, driving fast and not wearing seatbelts. The school the three attended is stunned by the fatalities.
3. CANNABIS TRIAL - Three men about to face trial for a sophisticated $15 million cannabis growing operation involving helicopters and armed guards have changed their plea to guilty as the trial opened. They will be sentenced later.
4. POWER REGULATION - Government attempts to impose price controls on electricity have stalled again. NZ First were in talks with the Minister, but have now withdrawn, they say they did not have an agreement over imposing controls on retail as well as the lines business. Government accuses parties of playing politics, others say the reforms have been badly handled.
5. CLINTONS - Hilary Clinton has broken her silence over Bill Clinton's affair with Monica Lewinksy. Says she new about past affairs, but Lewinksy took her by surprise, thought he was past that stage. She is said to have forgiven him for a 'sin of weakness' not malice.
6. MEDICAL CURE - A Melbourne woman and her unborn child have beaten the odd and viral pneumonia. She was given a total blood transplant and had the sound of her babies heart played to her while knocked out.