TV1 6pm News
1. MILLENNIUM - With less than five months to the millennium, two showcase events are dogged by problems. The Gisborne concert organisers say that they have cash flow problems and are slashing ticket prices as a result. They say they have made down payments to the artists concerned and they are still under contract, however they are looking for financial backers to ensure the event goes ahead. The Government's filming of the sun rise on the Chatham Islands also looks in doubt as they may not be able to match an overseas bid. The Minister responsible says all the official events are looking good.
2. CANNABIS - The ringleaders of the country's largest cannabis operation have been sentenced to jail. They told the court it started when they had to raise money for a life saving operation for a family member and it just grew from there into a sophisticated and armed operation.
3. CRASH - Police in Canterbury are investigating whether a car involved in a fatal crash was speeding on the wrong side of the road.
4. SCARY RIDE - A Wellington women on holiday in Christchurch clung to the bonnet of her vehicle as the thief sped off. She held on for five minutes before he slowed down to let her off. The man took off again in the car, but the vehicle has since been recovered.
5. CON AIR - The flight dubbed 'con air' by the PSA took off today flying prisoners in chartered planes from the North Island to the South Island. The move, one of many, was to relieve congestion in northern prisons.
6. PILOT STRIKE - Ansett pilots went on strike today in protest at plans to reduce staff numbers. They say it will endanger safety, Ansett say they want a modern employment contract.
7. ROYALS - Camila Parker-Bowles has taken another step in formalising her relationship with Prince Charles. She is on holiday with him, his sons and family friends. The Queen is said to be unhappy about the trip.