TV1 6pm News
1. ASSAULT - An allegation of assault against a Cabinet Minister, Tertiary Minister Max Bradford grabbed a student around the neck during a demonstration. Mr Bradford says he is going lay his own complaint. The confrontation was caught on camera as students surrounded the Minister's car, Mr Bradford says the person stood on his foot as he tried to leave. Students say Mr Bradford's behaviour was uncalled for. Police are investigating.
2. OCCUPATION - Four Auckland students face obstruction charges after the police ended an occupation of a registry building in Auckland University
3. IMMIGRATION - Pacific Island overstayers are being warned to stay away from a scheme offering Maori residency for a $1000 dollars. The organisers say they have a right to offer residency. The Immigration Minister Tuariki Delamere says it is a scam. Scheme organisers weren't too happy at being filmed, they plan a ceremony and a new Parliament.
4. MURDER - There has been a surprise change of plea to guilty for a man charged with murdering a woman in a home invasion case. The change of plea after two days of hearings followed the initial claim that the killing had not been intended.
5. ARSON - Meanwhile a former Fire chief is on trial for arson. He is charged with setting fire to the building while he headed a volunteer fire brigade.
6. COUP - Pakistan is under military control after a coup. The democratically elected leader is under house arrest. The coup follows the sacking of a military leader.
7. RUGBY - Welsh rugby fans are working themselves into a fever ahead of their game against Western Samoa. Much of the heat is due to NZ Coach Graham Henry.