TV1 6pm News
1. PREFU - The books have been opened by treasury and the Government says it looks good with growth forecast, though jobs are still going to be hard to come by. The surplus is rising slowly enough for Labour to say it can fulfil its promises. Analysts say the economy is still vulnerable to shocks such as the drought.
2. EMPLOYMENT - Unemployment will still be difficult to get below 6 per cent even when the economy is running at full capacity next year there will still be 100,000 unemployed. Jobs are being created, but at the same time many factories are closing. Bill English says Opposition parties' policies will not help. More investment is needed says everyone, ACT wants tax cuts.
3. WEB POLITICS - There is controversy over a National party website which make fun of other parties without clearly indicating who runs the site. Opposition MPs say it is cheap politics and have complained to the electoral office. National is backing down and just a bit of fun.
4. MPS' PAY - MPs have been given a boost to their pay packets. The PM received the biggest increase along with other party leaders and Cabinet ministers, MPs received a smaller rise.
5. INDONESIA - There has been violence on the streets of Jakarta over the election of a new president.
6. AMERICAS CUP - After just a few days in the Americas cup racing the Nippon crew is a man short after an accident on-board.
7. OPERATION - New Zealand medical
history has been made at Auckland children's' starship
hospital being only the fourth hospital in the world with
the insertion of titanium implants to built a boy's chest