TV1 6pm News
1. DEATH - The funeral of 13 year old James Conrad was held in Hamner Springs today after the boy died in a rafting accident. His father, Daniel, a rafting guide relives the tragedy.
2. SURF - Surf lifesavers are calling for more Government funding to make beaches safe. The calls, rejected by Internal Affairs Minister Jack Elder, follow a spate of recent drownings.
3. VOLUNTEER POLICE - Labour is calling for volunteers, who will be paid an allowance, to accompany police on the beat. The other parties don't think Labour's plans would work.
4. HOSTAGES - A tense hostage stand off continues in the former Soviet republic of Armenia. The PM and six other officials have been killed as a parliamentary debate was attacked by people with guns.
5. SMOKING - Smoking is on the decrease. A Health Ministry survey shows New Zealanders are smoking half as many cigarettes as they were a year ago..
6. TUKU - The ACC
has ditched a safety belt campaign starring 'tuku' the
monkey. Tuku's owner is unhappy about the change of