TIMOR TODAY 01/12/99
For full text and pics see… http://www.easttimor.com/
1) East Timorese pro-independence leader Jose Alexandre "Xanana" Gusmao, far right, and Nobel Peace Prize Winner Jose Ramos-Horta, second right, listen as Indonesian President Abdurrahman Wahid, second from left, speaks during a joint press conference at the state palace in Jakarta, Indonesia, yesterday. Gusmao appealed to Wahid for reconciliation and the release of East Timorese prisoners in Indonesia. (AP Photo/Charles Dharapak)
2) East Timorese pro-independence leader Jose Alexandre "Xanana" Gusmao surrounded by prison's officials during his visit to Cipinang prison where he spent seven years. (AP Photo/Firdia Lisnawati)
1) Pro-Jakarta Militia Leader Implicates Indonesian Generals 01/12/99 (Sydney Morning Herald) A pro-Jakarta militia leader has told investigators he helped murder an Indonesian journalist, two priests, two nuns and three other people in East Timor on the orders of a general in Jakarta.
2) Indon president, E Timorese leaders launch new era of ties 01/12/99 (AFP) JAKARTA - Indonesian President Abdurrahman Wahid and East Timorese leaders on Tuesday agreed to turn the page on two decades of bloodshed and launch a new era of ties between the would-be nation and its former occupier.
3) Holbrooke: "UN should not bolster West Timor camps" 01/12/99 (Reuters) UNITED NATIONS - U.S. Ambassador Richard Holbrooke called on the U.N. refugee agency on Monday to concentrate on getting East Timor refugees out of camps in West Timor rather than caring for them in captivity.
4) Howard denies refugees bribed to return home 01/12/99 (South China Morning Post) The Australian Government has defended itself against accusations it is bribing East Timorese refugees into returning home when their visas expire on December 8.
5) East TimorÆs Gusmao visits his old Jakarta jail 01/12/99 (Reuters) JAKARTA - East TimorÆs resistance hero Xanana Gusmao on Tuesday visited jailed Timorese comrades in the Jakarta prison where he spent years in detention. He said he hoped the last 18 East Timorese held in JakartaÆs Cipinang jail would soon be released.
6) Australia promises East Timor full benefits of Timor Gap oil treaty 01/12/99 (AFP) SYDNEY - East Timor will receive all the royalties that would have gone to Indonesia under its 1989 Timor Gap oil exploration treaty with Australia, the Australian government pledged Tuesday.
7) IndonÆs Wahid: Secret Attempts To Solve Aceh Crisis 01/12/99 (Associated Press) JAKARTA (AP)--The Indonesian president said Tuesday he was trying to arrange for a secret meeting with the leader of AcehÆs secessionists in an effort to stop his sprawling nation from breaking apart.
Subscribe Join the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Unsubscribe You can also
unsubscribe fromá the list via email simply by sending a
BLANK email to: