Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Minister Releases Defence Briefing Papers

Embargoed until 1am Thursday 13th January
12 January 2000

Minister releases Defence briefing papers

Post-election briefing papers from the Ministry of Defence and the New Zealand Defence Force show that some crucial issues need to be addressed, the Minister of Defence Mark Burton said.

"The briefing illustrates the general erosion in defence spending under previous Governments. Restricted budgets have resulted in a decline in equipment reliability and combat viability.

"Capital expenditure plans became a shambles under National. After years of neglect, a range of vital equipment purchases was approved in 1996 - but no provision was made for either currency fluctuation or inflation. By 1998 there was a funding crisis. 27 approved projects were given a lower priority with no funding attached to them. New requirements have also arisen that have not been approved.

"National lurched into replacement of our air combat capability years ahead of any plan to do so, when there was no money in the baseline to make that possible unless it came at the expense of other priorities. Our military personnel have gone to Bosnia and East Timor and put their lives on the line, with aging armoured personnel carriers and unreliable communication equipment.

"Capital spending priorities need to be urgently addressed. The Government has already announced a review of the F-16 deal and Derek Quigley is to report back by March. It is interesting to note that with regard to the current Fixed Wing Transport Force, the briefing raises concerns about the aged Boeing 727 and C-130 Hercules aircraft. The 727s are facing increasing restrictions on their use while the C-130s have high maintenance costs.

"Improving the ability of our armed forces to transport personnel and equipment to theatres of operation, may prove a higher priority than new fighter jets," Mark Burton said.

"Contrary to Opposition claims, the new Government will not be "downgrading" our defence capability, but there will be a careful assessment of priorities. The Government is committed to maintaining a credible defence force which provides for our national security, makes an appropriate contribution to regional security and to international peacekeeping."

(Copies of the Briefing Papers are available from Mark Burton's Beehive Office.)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels