Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Disestablishment Of Super 2000 Taskforce Announced


Hon Steve Maharey
Minister of Social Services and Employment
Associate Minister of Education (Tertiary Education)
Minister for Community and Voluntary Sector
MP for Palmerston North

28 January 2000

Disestablishment of the Super 2000 Taskforce announced

The Minister of Social Services and Employment, Steve Maharey, announced today that Cabinet had resolved to disestablish the Super 2000 Taskforce, with effect from 29 February 2000. Abolition of the Taskforce fulfils a pre-election promise made by both Labour and the Alliance.

“This Government does not see a role for the Super 2000 Taskforce. It was set up by the National Government to cut the cost of New Zealand Superannuation. The new Government stands opposed to any cuts to super entitlement. We believe in a universal pension sufficient to support a decent standard of living.

“That is why we announced yesterday we are increasing superannuitants pay packets from April 1 and that we are reversing National’s cuts to the base level of the pension.

“The disestablishment of the Taskforce will save the taxpayer a little over $2 million. But the useful projects it started will not be lost.

“Two research studies - one on the living standards of older New Zealanders, the other on the impact of labour market trends on retirement income - will be transferred for completion to the Ministry of Social Policy.

“The schools competition, designed to interest secondary school pupils in retirement issues, will be continued by the Office of the Retirement Commissioner.

"I would like to thank the Taskforce for their work and in particular acknowledge the chairperson, Angela Foulkes, and the deputy chairperson, Murray Horn”, Steve Maharey said.

Contact: Michael Gibbs, Press Secretary, (04) 471 9154 or (025) 270 9115.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels