Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Gisborne Inquiry Now in Gisborne

MEDIA RELEASE, 4 February 2000

Gisborne Inquiry Now in Gisborne

All public hearings of the Ministerial Inquiry into the under-reporting of cervical smear abnormalities in the Gisborne region will now be held in Gisborne rather than Auckland, Health Minister Annette King said today.

Mrs King said she made this change in order to meet the justified concerns of Gisborne and Tairawhiti women." "It makes very good sense that the inquiry should take place in the region where most of the women affected live."

Mrs King also announced the first public hearing of the inquiry, originally scheduled for February 7 in Auckland, would now be delayed until March.
The start date will be announced later in February,

She agreed to a delay after a request from women affected by the inquiry, she said. "The March hearings will allow more time for all parties, including affected women, to prepare."

Mrs King said the Government was keen to have the inquiry get under way quickly so that any lessons to be learned from its findings could be implemented.

"I am sure the affected women and family and whanau agree on the importance of ensuring that we do the inquiry well so that the women of New Zealand can have confidence in the national cervical cancer screening programme."

Information on services available for women who are or may be affected by the mis-reading of cervical smear tests can be obtained by calling the Health Funding Authority's 0800 number, 0800 444 633. Another 0800 number, 0800 942 266, is available for those who want more information about how to make submissions, or information on other aspects of the inquiry.

Information can also be obtained by email at gisborne.inquiry@moh.govt.nz or on the web at http://www.moh.govt.nz/news&issues.html.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels