Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

24-Hour Plunket Line starts on May 1

MEDIA RELEASE, 16 February 2000

24-Hour Plunket Line starts on May 1

Health Minister Annette King announced today that Plunket Line, the telephone help line for parents and caregivers of babies and young children, will become a round-the-clock service from 1 May.

Mrs King said Plunket and the Health Funding Authority signed the agreement for the 24-hour service today.

"I am thrilled that the service's hours will be extended as quickly as May 1," she said. "I was determined the 24-hour service would be operational in the first half of the year, but the May 1 start is a bonus."

Plunket Line opened on April 11, 1994, and was funded by Plunket until escalating costs forced the service's closure on February 7, 1999.

As then Opposition spokesperson on health, Mrs King launched a campaign to reinstate the service, and organised a nationwide petition that attracted 60,000 signatures. This petition influenced the former Government to re-open the service, operating from midday to midnight, on August 16 last year.

Mrs King said today it was obvious, however, the service had to operate round the clock to be effective. "That's what I campaigned on before the election, and I am delighted at the outcome."

Plunket chief executive Paul Baigent said today Plunket Line had become an important service for many families. "The requirements of New Zealand families continue to change and it is important the services Plunket provides to advise and support parents and caregivers change to meet their needs.

"Plunket Line does that and the Government's funding of the 24 hour-service will be welcomed by thousands of concerned parents."

The extended service would cost an extra $280,000 a year, Mrs King said.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels