Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Y2k Bug-Watch Put To Bed

On March 31 New Zealand's official monitoring of Y2K will end with the closures of the Y2K Readiness Commission and the State Service Commission's Y2K Project Office.

Information Technology Minister Paul Swain said New Zealand managed its way through the Y2K period without any significant problems being reported.

"That is a tribute to the massive effort to identify and address potential Y2K problems in the public and private sector and by people who ensured they were ready for any problems in their own homes," he said.

“I want to thank the Y2K Readiness Commission and its consultative committee - including the SSC Project Office - who led the Y2K effort at the national level.

“There are those who claim the Y2K threat was imagined - but testing showed that more than a quarter of New Zealand businesses, and almost all of our larger organisations, found Y2K issues which had to be resolved.

"In public hospitals alone 6% of medical devices would have failed if the work had not been done to identify and fix them.

“New Zealand spent more than $1billion to ensure it was Y2K ready and there have been a number of unexpected benefits to the country from that work.

"Many business and public sector agencies have updated their technology and have put business continuity plans in place to manage future crises. Many New Zealanders are now better prepared at home to handle civil disasters.

"In fact 80 percent of New Zealanders surveyed said they had prepared for any emergency on the changeover to the year 2000 – a huge acheivement relative to other disaster preparation exercises.

"We want businesses and the public to stay prepared and I encourage businesses to keep their continuity plans up to date and the public to maintain their household B-Ready kits.

“Again, my congratulations to everyone who helped New Zealand through the Y2K turnover period. It was due to your hard work leading up to December 31 and of course on the night, that it was such a smooth transition," Paul Swain said.

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels