Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Precautionary approach for cell phones needed

Green Party MP Sue Kedgley said New Zealand needs to take a precautionary approach to cell phones and take measures to lower the risk of exposure to them, including the possibility of health warnings, in the light of a new report recommending that England takes a precautionary approach to cell phone use.

This report follows a Swedish study released last week which links cell phones to an increased risk of brain tumours. The Stewart report, released in England today, said that although there was no firm evidence that cell phones damaged health, children should only use cell phones when there was no alternative.

"I think we have to be sensible about using cell phones; they should be for essential use only. Children have thinner skulls, smaller heads and their nervous systems are still developing, which makes them far more vulnerable to electro-magnetic radiation emitted mostly from the cell phone aerial."

Ms Kedgley said it was time for the New Zealand Standards Committee on Human Exposure to Electro-magnetic Fields to re-examine cell phone and cell tower standards, in the light of the Stewart report and the Swedish study.

"The committee have always said they would look again at our existing use of cell phones and placement of cell phone towers if new evidence arose," said Ms Kedgley.

"The public representative on our standards committee, independent expert Dr Neil Cherry, has collated more than 60 studies showing adverse health effects from electro-magnetic radiation.



"There is new evidence of health effects from cell phones coming out all the time. We can no longer pretend that the only effects are minor heating effects - yet this is the assumption that New Zealand standards are based on. The standards should be revised to be public health standards, recognising the possible harm that cell phones can do to our health."

Ms Kedgley said the government also needed to investigate whether cell phones should carry health warnings.

Sue Kedgley MP: 04 470 6728 or 025 270 9088 Gina Dempster, Press secretary: 04 470 6723 or 021 1265 289


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Mosque Shooting Response: Ban On Military Style Semi-Automatics And Assault Rifles

Military style semi-automatics and assault rifles will be banned in New Zealand under stronger new gun laws announced today, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says... Related parts used to convert these guns into MSSAs are also being banned, along with all high-capacity magazines.

“An amnesty will be put in place for weapons to be handed in, and Cabinet has directed officials to develop a buyback scheme...All semi-automatic weapons used during the terrorist attack on Friday 15 March will be banned." More>>

RNZ Report: No Mention Of Right-Wing Threat In 10 Years Of GCSB/SIS Docs
There is not one specific mention of the threat posed by white supremacists or right-wing nationalism in 10 years of public documents from the Security Intelligence Service or the GCSB. More>>

Two Minute Silence Friday: Auckland Mosques Opening Their Doors To All
Mosques in the four corners of Auckland will open their doors on Friday night for people of all faiths to gather in remembrance of the 50 lives lost in the Christchurch shootings. More>>

SCOOP COVERAGE: CHRISTCHURCH MOSQUES TERROR ATTACK
For the Latest: Scoop Search - Christchurch
 

Gordon Campbell: On The School Climate Strike

Locally, the school strike has won a ton of support for bringing climate change to the fore. Yet the strikers don't want mere expressions of support. They want action. More>>

ALSO:

"Grabbed And Struck In The Face": Greens Co-Leader Attacked While Walking To Work

Green Party co-leader James Shaw was the victim of an unprovoked attack when he was walking to work in Wellington. More>>

ALSO:

████████ ████ ███: Latest OIA Statistics Released

The latest statistics cover 110 agencies that collectively completed 18,106 official information requests between July and December 2018, a 16.4% increase on the 15,551 requests for the previous six months. More>>

ALSO:

'Hit And Run' Inquiry: New Legal Action Over Secrecy

The lawyer representing the Afghan villagers in the inquiry into Operation Burnham has launched legal proceedings calling for a judicial review in the investigation. More>>

ALSO:

From Hydro Plan To...: Mokihinui River Land To Join Kahurangi National Park

A total of 64,400 hectares of conservation land in the Mokihinui River catchment on the West Coast north of Westport, including 15 km of riverbed, is being added to Kahurangi National Park. “Adding this area, roughly half the size of Auckland City, to Kahurangi is the largest addition of land to an existing national park in New Zealand’s history,” Eugenie Sage said. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels