Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Work For The Dole Will Still Be Compulsory

Work For The Dole Will Still Be Compulsory – Official

Friday 16th Jun 2000
Dr Muriel Newman
Media Release -- Social Welfare

With government officials revealing yesterday that work for the dole would still be compulsory, Social Services Minister Steve Maharey’s grand plans to ‘reinvent the welfare state’ now appear to be nothing more than a mere name change for the community wage.

ACT Social Welfare Spokesman Dr Muriel Newman said the fact that welfare was invisible in the budget was an indictment of a Minister who had no vision for welfare and no new ideas of his own.

“There was no increase in overall employment scheme funding and no details on what the Government planned to do, except change the name of Community Work to “Activity in the Community”. Further, while the Government’s own officials said that the renamed work for the dole scheme would still require the unemployed to take jobs in the community, the Minister was saying the opposite.

In answer to a written question from Dr Newman the Minister for Social Services, Steve Maharey replied on the day before the budget that ‘participation in Activity in the Community will not be mandatory’ and that job seekers could choose whether or not to participate and would not face sanctions for choosing not to work.

“It now appears from the confusion and lack of detail that Steve Maharey’s promise to ‘scrap the community wage’ was, in the Minister’s own words, “just one of those things that you say in Opposition”,” she said.

“Steve Maharey has already told beneficiaries not to bother turning up for work. He has said that under his changes, they won’t face penalties. Now it appears that his grand plan to change the scheme may only be a name change, and those who don’t turn up, will face sanctions,” she said.

Dr Newman said the Government must move quickly to clarify the growing confusion over whether or not beneficiaries should be turning up for work.

“This ‘do we, or don’t we’ turn up to work confusion is costing beneficiaries the chance to get motivated and back into work. Steve Maharey is making a mockery of the benefit system and that’s unfair on taxpayers,” said Muriel Newman.

ENDS

For more information visit ACT online at http://www.act.org.nz or contact the ACT Parliamentary Office at act@parliament.govt.nz.


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels