Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Who will pay for TVNZ's anti-sponsorship move?

Katherine Rich


National Broadcasting Spokesperson

23 July 2000

Who will pay for TVNZ's anti-sponsorship move?

TVNZ's decision to review the sponsorship of programmes could see taxpayers footing the bill, or programmes which are currently sponsored draining resources away from other local programming, says National's Katherine Rich.

Television New Zealand is reviewing whether programmes such as Mitre 10 Changing Rooms, United Travel Getaway, Unichem Medical File and Corbans Taste New Zealand are 'too commercial'.

"Those shows are paid for in part or in full by the sponsor, freeing up the limited broadcasting funds available for other projects," Ms Rich said today.

"The question is whether this quest for cultural purity will mean those popular programmes are pulled from the air. Or will the taxpayer have to foot the bill for them? Or will they suck up money from the limited pool of funding for local productions?

"Oddly enough there's no suggestion that programmes such as Montana Sunday Theatre or Qantas Assignment should lose their commercial patronage.

"Could that possibly be because the latter programmes are popular with Helen Clark, Marian Hobbs and the rest of the decaf latte and cheese brigade, while the other shows are just popular with hundreds of thousands of less-elite New Zealanders.

"What makes the entire review bizarre is that TVNZ is a commercial broadcaster. While this might take a corporate brand out of the title of some shows there are still ad breaks within virtually all programmes shown on TVNZ. And of course they now show 'infotainment programmes' - which are hours on end of nothing but commercials.

"Consistency? I think not," Katherine Rich said.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels