Questions For Oral Answer - Tuesday, 19 September
Paraphrased answers will be posted in the Scoops wire shortly after 3pm.
QUESTIONS FOR ORAL ANSWER
Tuesday, 19 September 2000
Questions to Ministers
1. Hon RICHARD PREBBLE to the Prime Minister: In light of a One News Colmar Brunton poll showing a majority of New Zealanders are in favour of a common trans-Tasman currency and the Australian Treasurer Peter Costello's reported comments saying his Government was not interested, what is the Government's next step?
2. HELEN DUNCAN to the Minister of Education: What steps have been taken to ensure a consistent approach to teacher registration?
3. Rt Hon JENNY SHIPLEY to the Minister for Industry and Regional Development: What will be the likely impact on petrol prices of today's record low in the New Zealand dollar against the United States dollar and the 10-year high in crude oil prices, and what effect will any price changes have on regional development?
4. Hon PETER DUNNE to the Minister of Fisheries: Will the Minister follow the lead of the United States and ban all Japanese fishing in New Zealand's waters?
5. Hon BILL ENGLISH to the Minister of Finance: What is his response to the findings of the Evening Post BRC Economic Index poll released yesterday regarding his performance as Minister of Finance?
6. HARRY DUYNHOVEN to the Associate Minister of Education (Tertiary Education): What is the Government doing to support industry training?
7. KATHERINE RICH to the Minister of Broadcasting: Is the Television New Zealand Charter referred to in the article "TVNZ plan for kaftan wearers ..." in the Dominion on Saturday, the draft charter currently under discussion by Television New Zealand directors and the Government?
8. DAVID CUNLIFFE to the Minister of Energy: What is the Government doing to encourage more efficient use of petrol and diesel, given the present worldwide trend in fuel prices?
9. Hon TONY RYALL to the Associate Minister of Justice: Does she consider it necessary to settle the question of how the Treaty of Waitangi is dealt with in legislation if constitutional reform is to be advanced?
10. H V ROSS ROBERTSON to the Minister of Commerce: Has he received any recent reports which suggest that the current insider trading regime is inadequate; if so, what action is the Government taking to address the situation?
11. Hon Dr NICK SMITH to the Attorney-General: Which of her Ministerial colleagues did she consult with before approving the confidential settlement to former Mangaroa Prison inmates, and did she consult with the Prime Minister?
12. Dr MURIEL NEWMAN to the Minister of Social Services and Employment: Why did he say, as reported in the Dominion in response to a question as to whether benefit levels would be increased, "Not this term", and if he was incorrectly reported will the Government be increasing benefits?