Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Marine Reserves Good For Fishing - Greens

The Green Party has welcomed today's release of a discussion document reviewing the Marine Reserves Act, saying more marine reserves will help maintain good fisheries.

"The international literature suggests that protecting 20 per cent of our marine area will maximise fishing potential in the other 80 per cent," said Green Co-Leader Jeanette Fitzsimons.

"The Green Party believes we should aim for 20 per cent protection, the Government says 10 per cent. It will be interesting to see which way the review goes."

She also emphasised the need to take a simple, no-fishing approach to marine reserves.

"The experience with the Poor Knights Islands Marine Reserve suggests that allowing limited fishing in reserves simply doesn't work," she said. "The rules need to be crystal clear - either fishing or no fishing.

"If limited fishing is required then taiapure and mataitai reserves or controls through the Fisheries Act can achieve that."

Jeanette Fitzsimons said that the review offered the opportunity to initiate deep water marine reserves.

"At the moment marine reserves can only be within 12 miles of the shore, but there are incredibly diverse ecosystems around seamounts in particular that also need protection."

Jeanette Fitzsimons applauded the Minister of Conservation's recognition that marine reserves needed to be established for conservation and recreation as well as scientific purposes.

"We protect national parks simply because we appreciate them as they are and want to keep them in their natural state, not because we can use them for something," she said. "We should take the same approach to the sea.

"I'm delighted to see Sandra Lee implementing an election pledge, shared by the Alliance, Greens and Labour Party, to review the Marine Reserves Act."

Jeanette Fitzsimons MP: 04 470 6661, 025 586 068 Jonathan Hill (press secretary): 04 470 6719, 021 440 090


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On The Peters/Ardern Triumph

There are a lot of good reasons to feel joyful about this outcome. It is what so many young voters – the best hope for the country’s future – wanted.

Far more important than the implications for the Economy Gods (is the dollar up or down?) the outcome will also mean many, many vulnerable New Zealanders will have a better life over the next three years at least.

Yet the desire for change was in the majority, across the country... More>>

ALSO:

.

 
 

Submissions Summary: The People's Commission On Public Media

This Summary is a preliminary report from the People’s Commission. It brings together views and aspirations of the hundreds of people who made submissions, attended public meetings, filled out the online survey and made speeches to our Panel. More>>

Housing Plans: Protest Over Ihumatao Development

Ihumatao in Mangere, next to the airport in Auckland, holds the archaeological remains of 1000 years of food production; from when Maori first landed in the area, through to early European settler agriculture and right up until today. More>>

ALSO:

Negotiations: What Does Winston Peters Want His Legacy To Be?

A lot of people in New Zealand seem to resent Winston Peters and the power that he appears to have. “Appears” being the operative word.. More>>

ALSO:

Contains Highly Colloquial Language: Your F**king Guide To Government Formation

The following message is in no way endorsed by the Electoral Commission. They are f**king done with this election. More>>

NZ Emissions Up 50% 1990-2013: Report Confirms CLimate Change Impacting NZ

New Zealand is seeing impacts of excess greenhouse gas emissions in our climate and oceans, according to the latest national report from the Ministry for the Environment and Stats NZ about the state of the atmosphere and climate. More>>

ALSO:

Wellington.Scoop: Arrests At Blockade Of "Weapons Expo"

“We encourage people in Wellington to get down to the Westpac Stadium now for a day of awesome peace action. There will be plenty of food, music and activities to keep us sustained through the day.” More>>

ALSO:

Rorschach Restructuring: Inland Revenue Steps Back From Psychometrics

The Public Service Association will be seeing Inland Revenue in Employment Court over its intention to psychometrically test employees reapplying for their roles at the department as part of its controversial Business Transformation restructuring plan. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages

Opening the Election