Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

NZ queries Australian fireblight report

NZ queries Australian fireblight report on scientific grounds

New Zealand has filed a submission as part of the Australian Government's risk analysis process to decide whether apple imports should be allowed, Agriculture and Trade Negotiations Minister Jim Sutton said today.

Mr Sutton said apple access measures proposed by Australia in the draft interim risk assessment released in October did not stand up to scientific scrutiny. Furthermore, he said, the time being taken by Australian authorities to sort out this issue was not acceptable.

"New Zealand has been strung along on this issue for many years. Recently, there have been delays for the Olympic Games, and now I am even hearing suggestions the matter might be deferred for the next general election."

Mr Sutton said that in particular, the suggestion that New Zealand growers wait for six orchard inspections over two years before they being cleared for export to Australia, was just ridiculous.

"This and a number of other expensive proposed measures cannot be justified on the basis of the scientific evidence."

Australia will now relook at their assessment in the light of comments submitted by New Zealand and other interested parties.

"Given the solid scientific evidence in New Zealand's submission that they have got it wrong, there should be very significant changes. And we should see a final determination early next year.

Mr Sutton will be meeting Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer on Thursday and will be giving him a firm message.

"As agricultural exporting countries, both New Zealand and Australia expect other countries to respect World Trade Organisation rules for agricultural trade. These include basing sanitary and phytosanitary measures on rigorous scientific analysis."

Mr Sutton was critical of the public debate in Australia, saying the issue was being run as a political campaign, rather than as an honest scientific exercise.

"Some of the comment coming from Australia growers, some politicians, and even trade unionists, is just plain rubbish.

"To suggest that we have acres of orchards blackened by fireblight is outrageous. We have the most efficient and productive apple orchards in the world - not to mention a successful pear export industry. It is time the Australian consumer was introduced to real quality Braeburns, Royal, Gala, and Pacific Rose apples.

"Fireblight is just one of dozens of minor pathogens which are kept under control by normal orchard management ? organic or conventional ? in almost every producing nation. Fire blight has been provably and undeniably identified in the Melbourne public botanical garden in recent years, apparently without it ever affecting commercial orchards.

"The scientific evidence is persuasive ? fireblight is spread through the flowers or by the transfer of budwood. No-one has ever been able to demonstrate it being spread by mature fruit.

"The Australian industry has worked itself up into a lather on the basis of its own ridiculous propaganda."

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

KiwiBailed: KiwiBuild Head Officially Resigns

The head of Kiwibuild, Stephen Barclay has officially resigned from the role. In a statement issued on his behalf, it was announced that he would step down from today [Friday].

Housing Minister Phil Twyford's office said he would not be commenting on Mr Barclay's resignation as it was an employment matter. Last month, Mr Twyford confirmed that Mr Barclay had not been at work for a number of weeks. More>>

 

Welfare Stats: Rise In Hardship Numbers Shows Income Inadequacy

The latest Ministry of Social Development quarterly report show that a record number of people have received hardship assistance from work and income, with an additional 40,000 hardship payments made between September and December 2018, compared to the previous quarter of the same year... More>>

ALSO:

DHBs "Prepared": Junior Doctors Strike Again

The needs of acute patients will be met during tomorrow's junior doctor strike, a DHB spokesperson says... Almost 3000 junior doctors are expected to walk off the job, which will affect all DHBs apart from West Coast District Health Board. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On MBIE’s Social Media Scam

Given the ambit of MBIE’s work, almost any form of social activity could qualify as being part of MBIE’s brief, so the privacy threats posed by this training programme are extensive. The current oversight safeguards seem threadbare to non-existent. More>>

ALSO:

JusTrade: New Campaign For A 21th Century Trade Agenda

‘Critique is no longer enough. If anything is to really change, we need to step away from the existing framework and take a first-principles approach to rethinking what will work for the 21st century.’ More>>

Earlier:

Gordon Campbell: Thompson + Clark Are The Tip Of The Iceberg

How can we tell where and how any lines are being drawn? Oversight is not exactly robust. If it were, Thompson + Clark would have been out of contention for state security work ten years ago. More>>

Trainers: Taratahi Institute of Agriculture In Interim Liquidation

Taratahi employ 250 staff and this year has provided education to over 2500 students. Taratahi owns and manages 8 farms throughout the country. More>>

ALSO:

IPCA Report: Complaints About Deputy Commissioner Wallace Haumaha

The Authority has found that DC Haumaha acted improperly by approaching staff and others to provide information to support him to refute the allegations about his 2016 conduct, or solicited other staff to do so on his behalf... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels