Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Cullen looking at help for self employed over ACC

14 February 2001 Media Statement

Cullen looking at help for self employed over ACC overpayments

Minister for Accident Insurance Michael Cullen today acknowledged the plight of some self employed people who have had to pay excess ACC payments because of an anomaly in the current law.

"I have instructed the Department of Labour and ACC to come back to me with solutions to help people who have suffered badly as a result of earning significantly less last year than they did the year before.

"The problem has arisen because March 2000 year levies were calculated on the previous year's earnings.

"I want to deal fairly with people who have suffered significantly over a certain level. I know there are cases where a self employed person's income has dropped from say $50,000 to as low as $5000 and yet they have had to pay their premiums based on their last year's earnings.

"However I want to stress that although 30 percent of the self employed are paying more, the remaining 70 percent are paying less and I certainly have heard no clamour from them.

"I am hopeful that in the future we can make changes to the new Injury Prevention and Rehabilitation Bill that will overcome the impacts of the inevitably variable income of the self employed.

"I also strongly recommend that people in this position have a good look at ACC's new package especially for the self employed called CoverPlus Extra, whereby people can nominate a pre-agreed amount of compensation and premium payments," said Dr Cullen.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Werewolf: What Does Winston Peters Want His Legacy To Be?

A lot of people in New Zealand seem to resent Winston Peters and the power that he appears to have. “Appears” being the operative word. In reality, Peters will have power only up to the point that he uses it.

By next week, he’ll have become just another junior player in an MMP governing arrangement, battling to hold onto the gains he was promised. More>>

 

Rising Toll: Road Safety Needs To Be A Higher Priority

Official advice released to the Green Party under the Official Information Act shows that the previous National Government dismissed an option to make road safety its most important transport priority after being told the road toll was rising. More>>

ALSO:

Wellington.Scoop: Arrests At Blockade Of "Weapons Expo"

“We encourage people in Wellington to get down to the Westpac Stadium now for a day of awesome peace action. There will be plenty of food, music and activities to keep us sustained through the day.” More>>

ALSO:

Rorschach Restructuring: PSA Taking Inland Revenue To Court Over Psychometrics

The Public Service Association will be seeing Inland Revenue in Employment Court over its intention to psychometrically test employees reapplying for their roles at the department as part of its controversial Business Transformation restructuring plan. More>>

ALSO:

Nuclear Disarmament: Nobel Peace Prize 2017 Awarded To ICAN

Congratulations from iCAN Aotearoa New Zealand to international iCAN, the other iCAN national campaigns and partner organisations, and the countless organisations and individuals who have worked so hard for a nuclear weapons-free world since 1945. More>>

ALSO:

Expenses: Waikato DHB CEO Resigns

An independent inquiry has identified that Dr Murray had spent more than the agreed $25K allocated for relocation costs, and other unauthorized expenses involving potential financial breaches of the chief executive’s obligations. More>>

ALSO:

Wellington.Scoop: Sad About The Trolley Buses?

The Regional Council’s MetLink is today spending money to tell us that it really loves Wellington’s trolley buses, even though they’re all being taken off our roads by the end of this month. More>>

ALSO:

Post-Election: Preliminary Coalition Talks Begin

New Zealand First will hold post-election preliminary discussions in Wellington with the National Party tomorrow morning and the Labour Party tomorrow afternoon. More>>

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages

Opening the Election