Jim Anderton Speech - www.ownguide.tv
Hon Jim Anderton Speech Notes
Speech notes launch for launch of ownguide.tv
10 am Friday 23 March 2001
* Thank you for inviting me to launch this innovative technology development.
* This is my 30th regional tour in 15 months.
* I have received warm welcomes throughout New Zealand and I know that Kiwis are positive about our future.
* As a nation we need to work together to create the New Zealand that we want.
* It is the creativity and innovation of New Zealanders that will secure our future.
* Among a growing list of examples of hi tech and innovative and job rich businesses are:
* De'Amalfi Survival, which makes safety equipment, recently able to win a contract with a Canadian company as a result of the grant.
* Tristyle Homes, helped by Industry New Zealand are creating kitset homes and sending them to Japan. The company is based in Northland and is able to add 30 times the value to wood that would otherwise go offshore as unprocessed logs.
* Crazy Catch - Andrew and Louise Sinclair of Auckland - their three sons kept breaking windows.
* Allied Telesyn (new offices) October. 300 skilled software engineers. The expansion of their plant alone will put $10 million into the local economy. New Zealanders back to work, internet.
* Three locally made fire engines going from Lower Hutt to fight fires in South Australia. Fraser Fire and Rescue, received some advice on contract tendering from Industry New Zealand.
* Another company that this regional journalist was interested to hear about was GhostKey, which has developed security software. This Christchurch company has developed a miniature version of a computer security device which records keystrokes.
* Meeting Deputy Prime Minister of Singapore – envied New Zealand/New Zealanders.
* Growth of new technology is allowing innovative Kiwis to run successful businesses from regions where this was not possible before.
* Ownguide TV allows TV viewers to decide on what programmes they wish to watch.
* It is an innovative piece of software, praised, I understand, by Microsoft here in New Zealand.
* It is a breakthrough having many advantages over competing software, offering over 100 channels of programmes, which will allow viewers to search and programme their own schedule from any channels they have access to, and alerting the customer of the start of programmes.
* It will create 50 jobs in New Zealand, and offices will be set up in other countries.
* It is an excellent example of Kiwi ingenuity.
* As Minister for Economic Development and a proud New Zealander I am interested in making our country the best it can be.
* We need a country that is confident in its own unique culture. We need to see New Zealand performers on the world’s stages. We need to be proud of what we do and the unique, distinctive way we do things.
* This ownguide TV is a symbol of the bright future for our economy. These are the areas that we need to succeed in.
* I would like to congratulate Malcolm Helyar, Paul Stoneham and Kevin Hurley on this innovation, not just for them or the region but for all New Zealanders.