Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Carter wrong again … and again . . .

2 April, 2001 Media Statement

Carter wrong again … and again . . .

National's Housing spokesman David Carter has once again proven that he is totally unreliable after making up a press release and leaving out crucial facts, Housing Minister Mark Gosche said today.

"Two thousand three hundred and eighty-five households and families with serious housing needs have moved off waiting lists and into state houses between December last year and February," said Mr Gosche.

"But Mr Carter's deliberately chosen to ignore answers to parliamentary questions sent to him by my office and in a media release today he alleged that waiting lists had decreased 2,435 - with only 873 of these applicants housed by Housing New Zealand."

"This is absolutely wrong and Mr Carter knows it," said Mr Gosche.

"I sent him answers to written questions on the 23 and 26 March, in which he was informed that the number of households who moved off waiting lists and into state houses was 2,385."

"Only last month in the house Mr Carter said that the waiting list stood at over 14,000 – a figure he just made up."

Mr Carter's comments on the review of the state housing waiting list were also woefully wrong, said Mr Gosche.

"All state houses are now allocated on need – this was not the case under the previous Government. People on the old waiting list - the majority of whom had applied under the previous Government's system - now need to know this and to decide whether they still wish to remain on the list," he said.

"All applicants need to understand that state houses are now allocated first to those at risk and in serious housing need."

Since last December, applicants on the old waiting list have been contacted and asked if they wish to remain on the waiting list and be assessed under the new social allocation system. Housing New Zealand will contact applicants and if a response has not been received within an appropriate timeframe their applications will cease. However tenants have the opportunity to reapply at any time.

"We are making sure those with the most need are given priority and housed first," said Mr Gosche.

"It's time Mr Carter told us what National's housing policy is . . . that might be difficult though as they haven't got one."

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On Bridges’ ‘Meth Crooks’ Leadership Failure

Back in June, Bridges publicly accepted that Housing NZ had got it wrong, and that the National government had acted upon bad advice.

Now, you’d think this admission would create a broad bi-partisan basis for compensation to those families who had been unfairly evicted, at considerable cost and emotional distress. Some people had lost their possessions in trying to meet the expense of the upheaval.

Not everyone felt so compassionate. More>>

 

Multimedia & Transcript: Acting PM's Press Conference

Winston Peters, Acting Prime Minister while Jacinda Ardern is in New York for the UN Leaders' Week, held a short press conference Monday after chairing this week's cabinet meeting. More>>

General Assembly: Ardern Rejects Trump Call For War On Drugs

New Zealand will not be signing the United States' document calling for global action on the war on drugs, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says. Ms Ardern is in New York for the United Nations General Assembly this week, along with about 140 other world leaders. More>>

ALSO:

Pay Equity: Cabinet Funds Deal For Oranga Tamariki Social Workers

The Minister said that an agreement in principle has been reached between Oranga Tamariki and the PSA on a settlement worth $114.6m over five years. More>>

ALSO:

Hunting v Pest Control: Tahr Control Needed To Protect Alpine Habitats

A cull of introduced Himalayan tahr browsing conservation land in Kā Tiritiri o Te Moana/ the Southern Alps is needed to protect special alpine plants and their habitats, Conservation Minister, Eugenie Sage said. More>>

ALSO:

Protest At Sea: Judge Discharges Greenpeace Activists

The judge today discharged Norman and Howell without conviction, saying the cumulative consequences of a conviction would be out of proportion to what was “low level” offending off the Wairarapa coast in April 2017. More>>

ALSO:

No Reshuffle: Meka Whaitiri Removed As A Minister

Meka Whaitiri will be removed as a Minister with immediate effect... The decision was made after receiving a report into an incident that occurred on 27 August in Gisborne, involving Meka Whaitiri and one of her staff. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels