Select Committee Presents Report On Radio NZ
Select Committee Presents Report On Radio New Zealand Limited
5 April 2001
“Today the Commerce Committee presented its report to the House on the 1999/2000 financial review Radio New Zealand Limited”, said Chairperson David Cunliffe.
The committee reported on the following matters:
* We found there was strong performance against
the Charter, which is due for review by the House of
* No dividend payments are required for the 2000/01 financial year.
* Radio NZ no longer participates in industry rating surveys and now uses AC Nielsen to conduct its own rating surveys.
* Specific Maori language and culture programming makes up approximately three percent of total Radio NZ programming.
* A youth radio network would cost approximately $2.43 million to set up and $2.43 million to run per annum.
* Radio NZ claims that elements of its Charter and the Broadcasting Act are incompatible, and this is affecting its relationship with NZ On Air and needs to be resolved when the Charter is reviewed.
* Radio NZ received additional one-off funding worth $0.889 million from the Government.
* Nation-wide FM transmission has been delayed subject to new funding arrangements.
* Radio NZ is working to improve its "inadequate" news resources.
The report is available from the Bills Office (Members and Press Gallery only) or committee staff.