Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search


Maori & Pacific Islanders Dominate Poorest Schools

One out of five Maori and four out of ten Pacific Islanders attend the poorest schools, according to figures obtained by ACT Education Spokesman Donna Awatere Huata today.

“Our poor schools have become ghettos filled with brown faces,” Donna Awatere Huata said.

“In comparison, only 1.4 per cent of all European students attend the most destitute schools. The other 98.6 per cent of Europeans enjoy life in better-off schools.

“Under racist zoning, this can only become worse.

“Pacific Island and Maori students are stuck in a downward spiral of education failure, thanks to a zoning system which means they cannot escape the clutch of poverty.

“A Government which promised to close the gaps has done no such thing.

“We must get rid of zoning now. Otherwise, Maori and Pacific Island kids will continue to be stuck in ghettos with no escape,” Donna Awatere Huata said.

The percentages of each ethnically identifiable group attending schools with a decile one rating are as follows:

European 1.4%
Maori 21.1%
Samoan 38.2%
Cook Island Maori 44.8%
Tongan 42.8%
Niuean 37.6%
Fijian 15.7%
Tokelauan 40.0%
Other Pacific 8.0%
South East Asian 7.5%
Indian 5.3%
Chinese 1.5%
Other Asian 2.0%
Other Groups 3.9%


© Scoop Media

Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On Malaysia Exposing Our Dodgy Policies On China

Last week, we all owed a vote of thanks to Malaysian PM Mahathir Mohamad for breaking with protocol during his bilateral meeting in Singapore with New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern. Reportedly, Mahathir used the photo opportunity phase of the meeting – which usually involves just an exchange of smiles and pleasantries before the media is sent out of the room – to launch into matters of genuine substance.

By doing so, Mahathir usefully exposed how New Zealand is trying to make a virtue out of sitting on the fence over the South China Sea dispute. More>>


Climate Change: Top Academics Call On Government To Take Action

One hundred and fifty academics and researchers from around Aotearoa, including Dame Anne Salmond, Emeriti Professors and several Fellows of the Royal Society, have signed a strongly-worded open letter to the Government demanding bold and urgent action to tackle climate change. More>>


Teacher Qualifications, Class Sizes: Ten Year Plan For Early Learning

“Moving towards 100 percent qualified teachers in early childhood education centres and improving adult:child ratios are among some of the key proposals for change put forward by the sector and experts in the new draft ten year strategic plan for early learning,” Chris Hipkins said. More>>


Teacher Strikes: Meeting, March And Rally In Wellington

Throughout the Wellington region the NZEI rolling strikes entered their final day Friday. Thousands of teachers met in Wellington, Kapiti, Porirua and the Wairarapa. More>>


14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>


Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>


Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>


Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>





InfoPages News Channels