Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Spineless Steve Sacrifices Long Term Unemployed

Social Services and Employment Minister Steve Maharey has been exposed as the weakest Minister in Cabinet with his meek acceptance in the Budget of another funding cut to programmes for the long term unemployed, says ACT Employment Spokesman Dr Muriel Newman.

“Since coming into office this Minister has sat and watched while the number of people who have been unemployed for over two years has soared by nearly 17 percent as at the end of April.

“His inactivity has been compounded by his inability to fight for funding which will help lift these 51,734 people out of the dependency trap.

“In his first budget last year, Mr Maharey conceded a drop in subsidised work scheme funding from $118 million to $114 million. He then excused his weakness by claiming he had deliberately postponed a funding boost until this year because of reviews and changes at the Department of Work and Income.

“So what happened this year? Spineless Steve was rolled again, with a further cut to $112 million. Interestingly he’s no longer promising future funding increases. He probably knows that because his Cabinet colleagues and officials have now ridden over him twice he will have no credibility at all with them in the next round of budget negotiations.

“All of which is very cold comfort for those 51,734 people.

“During Labour’s nine years in Opposition, Maharey expressed outrage over claimed Government indifference about the plight of the long term registered unemployed, saying in 1998 that the 25,000 people registered over two years was ‘tragic’.

“Three years on the only ‘tragic’ thing is that this figure is more than double and we have a Minister incapable of doing anything about it,” Dr Newman said.

ENDS




© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Mosque Shooting Response: Ban On Military Style Semi-Automatics And Assault Rifles

Military style semi-automatics and assault rifles will be banned in New Zealand under stronger new gun laws announced today, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says... Related parts used to convert these guns into MSSAs are also being banned, along with all high-capacity magazines.

“An amnesty will be put in place for weapons to be handed in, and Cabinet has directed officials to develop a buyback scheme...All semi-automatic weapons used during the terrorist attack on Friday 15 March will be banned." More>>

RNZ Report: No Mention Of Right-Wing Threat In 10 Years Of GCSB/SIS Docs
There is not one specific mention of the threat posed by white supremacists or right-wing nationalism in 10 years of public documents from the Security Intelligence Service or the GCSB. More>>

Two Minute Silence Friday: Auckland Mosques Opening Their Doors To All
Mosques in the four corners of Auckland will open their doors on Friday night for people of all faiths to gather in remembrance of the 50 lives lost in the Christchurch shootings. More>>

SCOOP COVERAGE: CHRISTCHURCH MOSQUES TERROR ATTACK
For the Latest: Scoop Search - Christchurch
 

Gordon Campbell: On The School Climate Strike

Locally, the school strike has won a ton of support for bringing climate change to the fore. Yet the strikers don't want mere expressions of support. They want action. More>>

ALSO:

"Grabbed And Struck In The Face": Greens Co-Leader Attacked While Walking To Work

Green Party co-leader James Shaw was the victim of an unprovoked attack when he was walking to work in Wellington. More>>

ALSO:

████████ ████ ███: Latest OIA Statistics Released

The latest statistics cover 110 agencies that collectively completed 18,106 official information requests between July and December 2018, a 16.4% increase on the 15,551 requests for the previous six months. More>>

ALSO:

'Hit And Run' Inquiry: New Legal Action Over Secrecy

The lawyer representing the Afghan villagers in the inquiry into Operation Burnham has launched legal proceedings calling for a judicial review in the investigation. More>>

ALSO:

From Hydro Plan To...: Mokihinui River Land To Join Kahurangi National Park

A total of 64,400 hectares of conservation land in the Mokihinui River catchment on the West Coast north of Westport, including 15 km of riverbed, is being added to Kahurangi National Park. “Adding this area, roughly half the size of Auckland City, to Kahurangi is the largest addition of land to an existing national park in New Zealand’s history,” Eugenie Sage said. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels