Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Reassessment Options For NCEA

Schools will be able to offer students one reassessment opportunity for each internally assessed achievement standard under the National Certificate of Educational Achievement.

The NCEA has both internal and external assessment to standards. Overall about 60% of usual school subject standards will be assessed externally by examination at the end of the year. For the other 40% of standards schools will assess the student achievement. The amount of internal assessment varies for different subjects. For some subjects it is as little as 20%.

Education Minister Trevor Mallard said for the internally assessed achievement standards schools were being advised to include provision for no more than one further reportable assessment opportunity.

"The further assessment opportunity is for students who have not achieved the standard at the first attempt but have had the opportunity for more learning to take place in order for them to receive a credit," Trevor Mallard said.

"There is no point in further assessment unless further learning has occurred - but if further learning has occurred schools will obviously want to provide further assessment if they can manage it. What this decision means is that schools will have one opportunity to reassess an achievement standard within the same year if it makes sense to do so. This will not always be possible for example, when the standard involves a major project or field trip.

"When deciding eligibility for further assessment, schools will have to reach a balance between what is manageable in schools and giving students opportunity," Trevor Mallard said.

He said the decision will be reviewed after three years when teachers are likely to be more confident in, and familiar with, assessment for the NCEA.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Scoop 3.0: How You Can Help Scoop’s Evolution

Entering into its third decade of operation, the Scoop news ecosystem is set to undergo another phase of transformation and evolution.

We have big plans for 2018 as we look to expand our public interest journalism coverage, upgrade our publishing infrastructure and offer even more valuable business tools to commercial users of Scoop. More>>

 
 

Speaking Of Transport: Public Engagement On Wellington Scenarios

“Our work on possible solutions for Wellington’s transport future is ongoing, but has progressed to the stage where we’re ready to share our ideas with the public and seek their feedback to help guide our next steps...” More>>

ALSO:

Parental Leave: National's Time-Sharing Change Fails

National has proposed a change to the Parental Leave and Employment Protection Amendment Bill that would allow both parents to take paid parental leave at the same time, if that is what suits them best. More>>

ALSO:

Train Free Thursday: Workers Strike To Defend Terms Of Employment

"They signed up to these conditions a year ago when they got the contract for Wellington's rail services. Now they're trying to increase profits by squeezing frontline workers." More>>

ALSO:

Seclusion: Ombudsman Emphasises Importance Of Monitoring

Disability Rights Commissioner Paula Tesoriero says that while there have been changes to the Education (Update) Amendment Act 2017 to prohibit the use of seclusion, the report is an important reminder of the importance of regular monitoring of schools. More>>

ALSO:

United Future History: "All Good Things Must End"

'We’re extremely proud of what we’ve achieved over the past 15 years, working alongside the government of the day, both National and Labour.' Mr Light told members on Monday. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The TPP Outcome, And The Hobbit Law

Somehow the Trans Pacific Partnership trade deal has come lurching back from the dead – and as predicted in this column last week, the member countries gathered in Vietnam have announced a deal in broad principle, shunted aside until a later date the stuff on which they don’t agree, and declared victory. More>>

Agreeing To Differ: Greens Maintain Opposition To TPPA
“The Green Party has long opposed the TPPA. The new proposed deal, which came out of the weekend’s talks, still contains key ISDS concessions to corporations that put our democracy at risk, so our position remains the same,” said Green Party trade spokesperson Golriz Ghahraman. More>>

ALSO:

Monitoring Report: A New Chapter For Children’s Rights In New Zealand?

The Children’s Commissioner is calling on the country to embrace children’s rights to ensure their overall well-being. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages

Opening the Election