Decision On Wainuiomata Schools
The Minister of Education, Trevor Mallard, today announced his decision regarding the review of schooling in Wainuiomata.
"Since the announcement of the initial proposal early last month, boards of trustees have consulted widely with their communities, an independent review of the original costings has been completed and the Ministry of Education has provided additional material for consideration," Trevor Mallard said.
"As a result of this process, some significant changes to the initial proposal have been made.
"The proposal is now that:
College and Parkway College will merge on the Parkway
- Wainuiomata Intermediate and Parkway Intermediate will merge on the Parkway Intermediate site
- The merged college and intermediate will have a combined board of trustees
- Parkway School and Sun Valley School will merge on the Parkway School site
- Fernlea School will continue on its current site
- Arakura School will continue on its current site
- Wainuiomata School and Wood Hatton School will merge on the Wainuiomata School site
- Glendale School and Pencarrow School will merge on the Glendale School site as a full primary school
"Boards of trustees will now have 28 days to respond to this proposal before these decisions are confirmed for implementation at the start of the 2002 school year.
"I realise that both the process and the changes are distressing to some of those involved. I want to thank the vast majority of teachers and others in the community who have taken part in this process in a very professional manner," Trevor Mallard said.