Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

It's A Long Time In A Crate, Mate!

Green MP Sue Kedgley today said claims by the Chief Executive of the Pork Industry Board that sows prefer being confined in sow crates were offensive and outrageous.

On The Holmes Show tonight Angus Davidson from the Pork Board defended the Board's decision not to phase out sow crates, saying the use of the crates had strong animal welfare benefits and that sows actually preferred to be in them.

The Board has decided to reduce the use of the sow crate after 2012 but to keep using the crates indefinitely for the first month of a sows pregnancy.

"Pigs are intelligent animals and are very curious about their environments. Indeed, some scientsts believe they are more intelligent than dogs. Certainly, they are the most intelligent and sensitive creatures we exploit for human meat.

"To suggest that these intelligent and sociable animals prefer being incarcerated in a small steel cage for months on end is simply offensive and insulting to New Zealanders."

Ms Kedgley repeated her call for consumers to boycott pork, unless it was labelled as organic or free range, until the Pork Industry Board was forced to change its cruel position.

Ms Kedgley said the Green Party undertook extensive negotiations with the Pork Industry Board and had put in a budget bid for financial assistance for pig farmers if they were prepared to phase out sow crates completely in a short period of time, but the bid was rejected by the Government.

"The agreement was there, the will was there, but the money was not," she said.

Ms Kedgley said that by 2006 80 per cent of pig farmers will no longer use sow crates and there was no reason at all why the remaining 20 per cent could not also do the same.

"Another ten years of use of the sow crate, and from then on for the first month of every pregnancy is, in the words of Paul Holmes, 'a long time time in a crate, mate!' It's as simple as that."

Ends


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Werewolf: What Does Winston Peters Want His Legacy To Be?

A lot of people in New Zealand seem to resent Winston Peters and the power that he appears to have. “Appears” being the operative word. In reality, Peters will have power only up to the point that he uses it.

By next week, he’ll have become just another junior player in an MMP governing arrangement, battling to hold onto the gains he was promised. More>>

 

Rising Toll: Road Safety Needs To Be A Higher Priority

Official advice released to the Green Party under the Official Information Act shows that the previous National Government dismissed an option to make road safety its most important transport priority after being told the road toll was rising. More>>

ALSO:

Wellington.Scoop: Arrests At Blockade Of "Weapons Expo"

“We encourage people in Wellington to get down to the Westpac Stadium now for a day of awesome peace action. There will be plenty of food, music and activities to keep us sustained through the day.” More>>

ALSO:

Rorschach Restructuring: PSA Taking Inland Revenue To Court Over Psychometrics

The Public Service Association will be seeing Inland Revenue in Employment Court over its intention to psychometrically test employees reapplying for their roles at the department as part of its controversial Business Transformation restructuring plan. More>>

ALSO:

Nuclear Disarmament: Nobel Peace Prize 2017 Awarded To ICAN

Congratulations from iCAN Aotearoa New Zealand to international iCAN, the other iCAN national campaigns and partner organisations, and the countless organisations and individuals who have worked so hard for a nuclear weapons-free world since 1945. More>>

ALSO:

Expenses: Waikato DHB CEO Resigns

An independent inquiry has identified that Dr Murray had spent more than the agreed $25K allocated for relocation costs, and other unauthorized expenses involving potential financial breaches of the chief executive’s obligations. More>>

ALSO:

Wellington.Scoop: Sad About The Trolley Buses?

The Regional Council’s MetLink is today spending money to tell us that it really loves Wellington’s trolley buses, even though they’re all being taken off our roads by the end of this month. More>>

ALSO:

Post-Election: Preliminary Coalition Talks Begin

New Zealand First will hold post-election preliminary discussions in Wellington with the National Party tomorrow morning and the Labour Party tomorrow afternoon. More>>

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages

Opening the Election